The McMaster Immunology Research Centre (MIRC) is a vibrant, highly successful research grouping, with a unique model of research excellence, teaching/research training, and service provision (including Core facilities) aligned with the mission of the Faculty of Health Sciences, the University and of major funding bodies such as the CIHR. The Centre has an outstanding record of research and training in mucosal immunology, infectious disease, aging, allergy, cancer and lung disease. MIRC enables ease of collaboration and integration of basic and translational research themes, and is characterized by impact discoveries of immune mechanisms and new approaches towards therapeutics in disease.
Research from the centre has spawned a novel vaccine for tuberculosis, innovative methods for cancer treatment, new perspectives on the mechanisms and treatment of food allergy, and creative strategies to prevent and manage lung disease.
MIRC as a whole provides a key resource to the FHS and University to support investigations requiring immunological expertise/facilities. MIRC PIs and staff have expertise in technologies that enable standard, new and entrepreneurial approaches and platforms for discovery and translation. These include:
- Well-developed animal models of immune mechanisms
- Expertise in virology, recombinant Adenoviruses and lentiviruses, a GMP production facility which is unique to the institution
- A central core histology facility, unique to the institution with automated staining capability for immuno-staining, FISH and CISH (Unique in Canada)
- A central core flow cytometry facility which is unique to the institution, that also has a GLP-like immune analysis facility (HITS, which is unique to Ontario and one of only 2 in Canada)
- A level III biohazard approved facility with Flow cytometry capability
- A staff scientist maintained for consultation and collaboration in bioinformatics
- Expertise in translation of discovery to clinical trials
- Contract, Professional and Other Services
- Research Centres and Institutes
- Research Institutes & Academic Institutions
- Testing & Medical Laboratories