The mHealth & eHealth Development and Innovation Centre (MEDIC) conducts digital health applied research, provides advanced skill development services, and leads the design, development and testing of electronic medical records (EMR) systems, patient health records (PHR) systems, clinical assessment tools, and patient-facing mobile and web application development and device integration. MEDIC’s Digital Health User Experience Lab, the only one of its kind in southern Ontario, supports MEDIC’s usability research team to offer customized user-testing and validation of new and existing products and solutions.
Globally recognized for its expertise in Digital Health since 2009, MEDIC partners with government institutions, public health teams, clinician groups, researchers, NGOs, and commercial software vendors to accelerate the development of interoperable and secure healthcare IT solutions. MEDIC is Canada’s only Digital Health Technology Access Centre with a focus in digital health, healthcare standards and interoperability.
Through MEDIC, clients can access a working eHealth ecosystem, including the technology, know-how and industry contacts that are necessary in the development and commercialization of new health IT innovations. As an online “living-lab” environment, MEDIC allows stakeholders to work through a significant part of their development in a cost-effective, secure, efficient manner.
The MEDIC team works with clients to provide services across three categories:
- Product Development (Tooling): MEDIC supports new technology development at every stage of the development process, from supporting the design of the concept to developing a working proof of concept. For partners with existing products, MEDIC assists with process improvements as well as product redesign in accordance with international digital health standards.
- Testing and Validation Services: MEDIC supports the development and deployment of new digital health products and the enhancement of existing software solutions. Services include technology and workflow consultation, concept valuation, product evaluation and validation as well as field trials and simulation testing.
- Training: MEDIC hosts industry-focused workshops and customized corporate training focused on advancing technical knowledge in digital health topics, such as FHIR and interoperability.
MEDIC team and clients can access world-class facilities, with a wide range of hardware, software and digital assets, including:
- Health Systems Interoperability Lab: a centre of expertise for healthcare systems interoperability. The digital assets of the lab support interoperability with systems such as the open IHE sandbox infrastructure (Cross Enterprise Document Exchange (XDS), Patient Identity Cross Referencing (PIX), Patient Demographic Query (PDQ), and Audit Trail and Node Authentication (ATNA)). The team also has extensive experience with FHIR.
- Mobile Device Experimental Lab: supports prototyping, testing and validation of mobile digital health software solutions. The lab contains over 100 mobile devices and peripherals to facilitate the testing of diverse consumer and clinical mHealth solutions.
- Digital Health User Experience Lab: the only one of its kind in southern Ontario, supports MEDIC’s usability research team to offer customized user-testing and validation of new and existing products and solutions. It is affiliated with Mohawk’s Digital Accessibility Lab in order to support accessibility user-testing and legislative compliance.
Discover how we can help you solve your digital health challenges.
- Contract, Professional and Other Services
- Digital Health / e-Health
- Research Centres and Institutes
- Research Institutes & Academic Institutions
- Testing & Medical Laboratories